Death Sucks

Welcome!



My grandmother passed away last week. And as you're reading this, I'm back in Kentucky at her funeral.


Death SUCKS!

Even if it elevates pain, comes quickly, or slowly, to the deserving or undeserving. It still sucks for someone. And even though my grandmother is no longer in pain and is the happiest she's ever been, it sucks for the rest of us left down here.

I was my grandmothers first grand child, she was my first experience with a grandma. As a kid, my idea of what a grandma was; was someone who made sugar cookies and ice cream from scratch. Who stored chocolate in every room. Made breakfast every morning from scratch as well. Someone with a hammock in their backyard and a huge tub in their bathroom. Who played ocean sound to put you to sleep. Whose quiet presence and loud laugh spoke volumes.





Growing up my granny wouldn't say much to ruffle anyone feathers, I believe that's just the era she grew up in and that's not something women did. So imagine her surprise when she was given four granddaughters whose "feather ruffling ability" was out of this world. She'd sit quietly and listen to us argue with one another. Or she'd listen to us try to prove our points in old arguments and just say "hmm, is that right?"





As we got older, she started to voice her opinion more, she'd tell me when she thought someone wasn't being as smart as they should. She'd tell me when she didn't approve of my Facebook pictures because my face was contorted (winking face) and I shouldn't be showing that to everybody.


My grandmother was one of the most elegant women I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Her hair was always done neatly, her home was always clean. She taught me the meaning of "street clothes"; clothes you wear outside and are not meant to be lounged in, especially in bed. She treated us to fancy drinks for breakfast, ginger ale and orange juice, and buttermilk biscuits made from scratch on beautiful dishes. Those were the staples of my childhood, home cooked meals from her was her way of saying " I love you girls." 


 Around her house you would find precious flowers, beautiful crystals and a plethora of "trunk up" elephants, for good luck. That was her signature. A beautifully decorated home, a well manicured garden and a delicious smells radiating outward. 


My heart hurts and I'm sad that she's no longer able to pick up my calls or meet me for breakfast. But I know that God is getting the best meal he's had in awhile. I know she's giggling her butt off and lighting heaven up with her gappy smile. But it sucks that she not here today. It sucks that I'll be walking into her house today with out hearing your sweet voice. Be with us today anyhow.


I love you Ernestine Evalina and I'm going to miss you more than you know. 


Rest Easy Pretty Lady






Love,

Porscha

Comments